Using the NIC post-COVID
When using BookitLab to make your first instrument reservation (and whenever this SOP is updated), you will have to acknowledge the risk and agree to the SOP prior to making the reservation.
NIC risk agreement and post-COVID SOP:
Users must acknowledge risk and agree to the SOP via Bookitlab prior to NIC use.
When you reserve this scope please make sure you will not be arriving or leaving within 10 minutes of any other user’s start or end time. It is possible to see everyone’s booking times in the online NIC reservation calendar Bookitlab.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists where other people are present, where people have recently been present, and where air circulation is shared with multiple rooms. By using the NIC you accept this risk of COVID-19 exposure.
By reserving via Bookitlab you confirm acceptance of this risk and that you will follow these rules:
- If you feel ill, you should NOT come into the NIC.
- No “walk ins,” all NIC reservations must be at least 24 hours in advance.
- Do as much sample prep as possible before coming to the NIC.
- Please bring your own cloth or disposable mask to wear while in the NIC at all times.
- Once you enter the NIC, go directly to the scope you will use. Do not go to any other rooms and do not use any microscopes other than the one you have reserved.
- Once you enter the microscope room you have reserved, do not leave until the end of your session.
- Bring everything you need into the microscope room you have reserved, and take it with you when finished. There will be no pipettors in the NIC and there should be nothing you need kept outside of the room.
- Only one person per room per microscope. If you are in the NIC and someone needs to talk to you then please have them text, call, or email.
- Please shut the door to the microscope room while you are using it, and leave it open when you leave.
- Please wipe the surfaces you will touch before and after your session with the supplies available next to the scope. There will be no staff sanitizing between users.
- Finally if you do test positive for COVID-19 infection within 10 days of using the NIC, please let me know, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional post-COVID NIC details:
The NIC has a supply of 70% ethanol, kimwipes, and instructions next to every microscope for sanitizing microscope eyepieces, keyboards, knobs, and other touched surfaces before and after using the microscope.
I will check the NIC once a week when no users are present to confirm sanitation supplies have not run out and to do routine maintenance.
Due to physical distancing requirements, training is “synchronous distanced online” for new users and experienced users who may need a refresher session or other advice while using the scope.
If there is an issue with a microscope during your session, I will help troubleshoot remotely via email, phone, or telecon. If the problem cannot be solved remotely, then it will have to wait until I come to the NIC during my weekly visit.
As always, please let me know if you spot something amiss in the NIC or if you have suggestions for improvement. Running the NIC is indeed a team effort and I do appreciate your open communication.
Sarah Swanson, Director
Newcomb Imaging Center
Department of Botany
January 12, 2021
NIC SOP, version 2.6